Lana Del Rey - Style Icon for Today

Wednesday 21 March 2012

I haven't blogged in over a year, I can't believe it has been that long! I suppose I did not have much inspiration; but this is where this young lady comes in. 


It seemed when I was in desperate need of a new fashion icon, she was there like a call from the heavens, to help me renew my love for style and perk up my wardrobe.
It's no secret that I adore the 1940s and 50s, however, dressing in that style does not really give room for  in my other love of hoop earrings and gold jewellery.
But as it is plain to see, Lana embodies all of these style points effortlessly into her own look. Hoop earrings never looked so elegant!


She even has the killer nails.
 I had always admired these when looking into female Japanese fashion styles (especially around the 'Gal' and lolita trends), but never dared to wear. 


If you think those are adorned you should see the dedicated nail-lovers' work...

(side note: although I do think the above nails are incredibly cute, the logical part of my brain luckily steers me away from thinking that they are anywhere near the realms of normality, not to mention practicality...)

Anyway back to Lana. Her nails have taken inspiration from this, and still give her the air of 'trashy-elegant-chic', if that sort of paradox can exist. If she can actually pick things up, however, remains an ever present mystery. 


I think overall what that really stands out for me, when it comes to Lana and fashion, is how seamlessly she has incorporated elegance, sex, cheap-chic, and lolita into one style; and incorporated it, ultimately,  as one person. She fully embodies those four traits into her mannerisms, music and fashion, and its what gives her the mystery and seductive nature she so successfully puts across to her audience. 
The sexual themes she presents do not appear in a crude, obvious way, as they so often do with a lot of celebrities (*coughcough* Rihanna).
But instead they give her a lolita style intrigue, whilst also giving her the opportunity to flaunt ideas of submission and dominance within her fashion and work.


As we can see, there is such a thing as subtlety when it comes to submission and dominance style fashion, or S&M fashion if you will. Rihanna doesn't seem to have mastered it, 
But Lana has, first time...


xxx



0 comments: