Latina Gangsta Style: Chola

Sunday 2 December 2012


This style is the epitome of everything I love; Massive hoops, giant hair, and overly exaggerated red lips. It's like taking the traditional 1950's housewife and giving her an attitude and real sex appeal. I can't imagine a style more perfect!

I have always been drawn to Latina fashion and makeup. It's the ethnicity people mostly, mistakenly, identify me as-
(I am half English and half Pakistani, just to clear up any confusion). I remember first seeing it in JLo's video featuring Nas- 'I'm Gonna Be Alright'. What 10 yr old girl can't resist an Adidas Sweater Dress?! It's off the shoulder!!


 
Not gonna lie... still kinda want this

She looked so amazing in this video, with her tanned skin, big hoops and masses of sex appeal. I wanted to be her!.. but I was 10, so I looked less like this:


... and more like this:

I wouldn't even have looked this good in a hat.

But anywayz, luckily the Gods looked favorably upon me and I grew up with a better understanding of fashion, and somehow my face morphed its self into a better one than my 10-15yr old one, (seriously no one needs to see those pictures).
This is when chola style found me. It had looks of the 1950s, but mixed it with the Latina style I had loved previously. Here is Stevie Ryan as her chola alter-ego 'LittleLoca':


I did a few pictures just to show the makeup and hair, just incase anyone wants to try it at home!
The eyes consist of a vanilla eyeshadow on the lid, a smokey brown in the crease and a white highlight on the inner corners and brow bone. The eyeliner is just a normal 50s flicked cat-eye, with kohl pencil lining the inner and out rim:


And the lips are a dark, ruby red, with black liner (yes I did say black haha!) around the edge, and smudged in the corner. You can also add gloss on top just to exaggerate it a little more:


The hair is just back combed to the extremmeeeee, with a bandana tied round.
And this is the end result!



Just don't forget those hoops

xxx

0 comments: